With sixty-six acres of wonderful fields, woods, and lakeshore property in South China, Maine, Friends Camp is a centrally located place to hold a retreat or family reunion for between 35 and 120 people. Friends Camp is only a twenty-minute drive from Augusta or Waterville and is an hour and 15-minute drive from ether Portland or Bangor.Friends Camp is an affordable meeting place or conference center for non-profit organizations, government agencies, families, Quaker groups, and businesses. We offer special package prices for weekend and other multiple day events and retreats. We have very reasonable, per person overnight or day rates. If your organization needs a convenient central Maine meeting or retreat location, please call 207-334-2361 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions.
- Aviary Hall is an excellent gathering space for larger groups of between 25 and 125 people. Aviary Hall is a beautiful post and beam building with a massive fireplace and two large porches. This space works will for most of our weekend wedding rentals.
- Cardinal Hall has a large theater/multipurpose room that has a capacity of up to 150 people.
- Big Bird Dining Hall can seat 120 people and can be easily rearranged so that groups of ten to sixteen guests can gather around the fireplace or a larger circle of benches and chairs can be set for ninety people.
- A historical Quaker Meeting House turned art space is good for gatherings of between 12 and 20 guests.
Being outside in nature can be a thoughtful and relaxed setting for any group. Friends Camp has several outside areas for playing, walking, swimming, canoeing, and relaxing.
- Play on the outdoor games field, the soccer field, and the basketball court.
- Walk on the scenic nature trail and the trail to the waterfront area on China Lake.
- Swim and sail at our waterfront area on China Lake.
- Canoe or kayak.
- Relax on one of our pine grove benches.
- Visit our vespers field and watch the sun go down!
Friends Camp has fourteen simple and rustic cabins with nearby bathroom and shower facilities and four additional sleeping buildings with bathrooms. The cabins are each a little bit different, but they all have bunk beds for between eight and twelve guests.
Our meals are carefully prepared and feature vegetarian and non-vegetarian foods. We offer plenty of fresh baked breads, desserts, vegetables, and fruits at each of our nutritious meals. The cooks can tailor the menus to suit your group’s needs. You can also rent our kitchen and use a catering service or your own cook.
Spring and fall weekend rentals and mid-week rental start in late April and end on Columbus Day Weekend in October. Retreat groups often start with dinner on Friday night and finish on Sunday after lunch. Call the office for availability.
- Non-refundable day rate of $250.00 per day. This fee holds your dates for your use, and the balance of your fee is due the day before your retreat or wedding begins.
- There is a per-person daily fee for your rental or wedding.
- Guests who stay only during the day are $8 per person per day.
- Overnight guests are $16 per person per night. If you are interested in your guests staying overnight, we have some cabins with bathrooms and a lake-front cottage available for additional cost.
- To rent the kitchen and prepare your own meals or hire your own caterer, the cost is $150/ day. We have some dishware available for your use if you rent the kitchen. To discuss the cost of Friends Camp preparing your meals, please call Anna at (207) 445-2361.
- There is an additional use fee associated with our four large buildings (Aviary, Dining Hall, Cardinal, & Meeting House). Only pay for the buildings you use– $50/ building.
Larger Rental Groups (60> guests) lower per person fee of $14 for overnight & $7 for day use.
Rental groups, meetings, reunions and weddings will need to have Event Insurance from the Markel Insurance or from another insurance company. The liability insurance coverage level needs to be $1,000,000 per event. To use Markel Insurance, sign up on their web site – www.markeleventinsurance.com or call the Markel office at 1-855-422-5944. If liquor (beer, wine etc) is serviced at your wedding the event insurance must note this extra coverage. Your event policy must list Friends Camp / New England Yearly Meeting of Friends as the owner of property you are renting. The address of Friends Camp is 729 Lakeview Drive, South China, ME 04358.
Group Rentals Payment
**Please contact us for the payment amount.