New England Yearly Meeting of Friends
Friends Camp has sixty-six acres of wonderful fields, woods, and lakeshore property in South China, Maine. For over fifty-six years, Friends Camp has been an intentional community for young people and adults to gather for activities, meetings, fun, and reflection. It is our goal to work closely with each rental group to assist them in having a successful and enjoyable gathering.
Friends Camp offers itself as an affordable meeting place and conference center for non-profit organizations, government agencies, families, Quaker groups, and businesses. We offer special package prices for weekend and other multiple day events and retreats. We have very reasonable, per person overnight or day rates and separate per person rates for meals, snacks, and beverages. We have additional fees for lifeguarding, childcare, and staff for special programs. If your organization needs a convenient central Maine meeting or retreat location, please call 207-873-3499 or e-mail email@example.com with your questions.
FACILITIES (Click HERE to view the Facility Gallery)
Friends Camp is a splendid place to hold a retreat, a meeting, or a family reunion for between 35 and 120 people. Indoor meetings and activities take place in three main lodges: Aviary Hall, Cardinal Hall, and Big Bird Dining Hall, and in two smaller buildings.
- Aviary Hall is an excellent gathering space for larger groups of between 25 and 125 people. Aviary Hall is a beautiful post and beam building with a massive fireplace and two large porches.
- Cardinal Hall has a large theater/multipurpose room that has a capacity of up to 150 people and a small library room for smaller meetings or workshops.
- The newly renovated Big Bird Dining Hall can seat 120 people and can be easily rearranged so that groups of ten to sixteen guests can gather around the fireplace or a larger circle of benches and chairs can be set for ninety people.
- An historical Quaker Meeting House and Owl Cabin are also good spaces for gatherings of between 12 and 25 guests.
Being outside in nature can be a thoughtful and relaxed setting for any group. Friends Camp has several outside areas for playing, walking, swimming, canoeing and relaxing.
- Play on the outdoor games field, the soccer field, and the basketball court.
- Walk on the scenic nature trail and the trail to waterfront area.
- Swim at our waterfront area on China Lake.
- Go canoeing or relax on our pine grove benches.
- Visit our vesper field and watch the sun go down!
Friends Camp has twelve simple and rustic cabins with nearby bathroom and shower facilities and two additional sleeping buildings with bathrooms. Five of the cabins have bunk beds for eight guests and seven of the cabins sleep between ten and twelve guests.
Friends Camp is a centrally located place to hold a retreat or family reunion for between 35 and 120 people. Friends Camp is only a twenty-minute drive from Augusta or Waterville and is an hour and 15-minute drive from ether Portland or Bangor.
Our meals are carefully prepared and feature vegetarian and non-vegetarian foods. We offer plenty of fresh baked breads, desserts, vegetables, and fruits at each of our nutritious meals. The cooks can tailor the menus to suit your groupís needs.
Spring and fall weekend rentals and mid-week rental start in early May and end on Columbus Day Weekend in October. Retreat groups often start with dinner on Friday night and finish on Sunday after lunch. Currently we two weekends open in the September and October and three weekends that are open in May and June.
Group Rentals (non-refundable sign up fee of $100.00 per day)
Overnight $16.00 and Day rate $8.00
Breakfast $8.00, Lunch $8.00, and Dinner $10.00
Beverage and Snack $2.00
Youth 3 years and under are free.
Cleaning Fee of $25 for Cardinal Hall or Big Bird or Aviary Hall
Groups with fewer than 25 people will pay an extra fee of $35 per meal.
(Friends / Quaker groups do not need to pay the deposit fee.)
729 Lakeview Drive (Route 202)
South China, ME 04358
207-445-2361 (May to October)
25 Burleigh Street
Waterville, ME 04901
207-873-3499 (September to May)